ERBIL – The Syrian Kurdish Democratic Union Party (PYD) on Sunday condemned the bomb attack that killed at least four people in a busy tourist district in Istanbul.
“The PYD considers any action that targets innocent civilians, either by state forces or any other groups, as an act of terrorism, and condemns it. Regarding the attack that took place in Istanbul on 19/03/2016, we extend our deepest condolences to the families of the victims, wishing the injured a speedy recovery,” the PYD Foreign Relations Office said in a statement.
The Turkish government on Sunday said a Turkish citizen named Mehmet Ozturk born in 1992 and registered in Gaziantep, with links to the Islamic State, was behind the attack.
“The evidence at hand shows that he is connected to the Daesh [ISIS] terrorist organization,” said Turkish Interior Minister Efkan Ala on Sunday.
So far, the Islamic State group has never claimed responsibility for any attack in Turkey.
The PYD co-chair Salih Muslim last Wednesday also publically condemned the Ankara attack that killed at least 37 civilians last week that was carried out by the PKK splinter group TAK (Kurdistan Freedom Falcons).
Reporting by: Wladimir van Wilgenburg
Source: ARA News
For the latest news follow us on Twitter
Join our Weekly Newsletter